Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Am I a Gudrun Girl? Yes and No!

Yes, I'm a Gudrun Girl as far as her fashion line goes! 

When I was diagnosed with drop foot several years ago and a leg brace was added to my wearing apparel, I discovered Gudrun Sjoden's clothing line on Pinterest. Just what I was looking for. Leggings plus fashionable, comfortable wearing apparel. I loved her bright clothing in the patterns I like most - calico type florals,  checks, dots, and stripes. 

No, because her clothing does not come in my size. 

So, I emulate her fashion as far as I am able. I do like black and white the most and so far, that's about all I've been able to find, clothing wise in my size that I can afford. I shop for my clothing at  1/2 of 1/2, thrift stores (have a couple of favorite spots), Walmart, and if on clearance or sale, online at Full Beauty BrandsOccasionally, friends will give me a bag of clothing if they know my size or accessories they think looks like me. 😁

Two other pluses that I had never thought of before until I discovered her clothing line was that you can wear a short sleeve dress all year long and then layer it during the winter. First time I was actually warm enough during the winter in my drafty old farmhouse cottage. Second is that you can wear different patterns together at one wearing, if you keep the clothing and accessories in all the same basic colors. 

The layering during the winter can be not only sweaters, but also long sleeve t-shirts over or under a dress. Long sleeve t-shirts can make a dress appear to be a skirt under the shirt or if you wear it under the dress, the dress looks like a jumper. Also what we used to call culottes,  can be worn over a pair of leggings and under a short tunic dress for another layer. You can wear decorative infinity scarves in the winter to keep your neck warm and necklaces in the summer to keep your neck cool.

What we call a sleeve-less tank-top summer dress can also be worn summer or winter. I don't like my batwings (extra skin under my upper arms) to show, so wearing sleeve-less dresses are out during the summer, however, I learned that I can wear a short sleeve top over it during the summer to make it appear as if I'm wearing a skirt and a long sleeve t-shirt under it during the winter as a jumper. 

I wear compression stockings and an orthopedic built-up shoe now instead the brace, although the built-up shoe is as stiff as the brace was. The compression socks I can buy come in two colors - black and beige. I do not like brown, so black it is! And the orthopedic shoes comes in -- guess what colors? You've got it, black and beige! 

So when I began to build my wardrobe, I chose seven (7) colors that go well with black - black and white, black and grey, black and red, pink, turquoise and lime green. I also chose 4 of my favorite patterns that I mentioned above. However, after shopping for several years pink, turquoise and lime green were hard to come by, so I've changed my colors again. I've kept the black and white, but also added red, white, and blue. Teal was the easiest blue-green color available, but it's not my favorite blue-green. Teal is on the green side of blue-green and turquoise is on the blue side.  So far, it's been easier to find the red, white, and blue, but I usually discard the garment if the fabric also has another color beyond the ones I have chosen, because I don't want to throw in another color into my mix. 

I pulled out everything in my closet and anything that didn't go with my colors or pattern choices went to the thrift store for somebody else to enjoy. It has taken some time to build up my wardrobe. 

I do have one piece of Gudrun Sjoden jewelry. No, it's not a necklace. See if you can spot it in the photos below.  Click on the photos to enlarge them. 






These are just a few of my favorite dresses. See how I can mix and match shirts with the tank/jumper dresses. I'm constantly scouting out apparel and accessories when I go shopping. 

And, my wardrobe may be doing some more changing in the near future. According to google, you must lose 10 to 15 pounds (about 1 stone, UK measurement) to change clothing sizes and I've lost nearly 25 pounds since the end of January. I'm currently on four medical diets - Possum Patty calls it the Freedom Diet - sugar-free (hypoglycemia), fructan-free (low-fodmap), caffeine, carbonation, citrus, dairy, mint, garlic/onion, tomato-free (GERD/gastritis), and the Mediterranean diet for fatty liver disease. It's been a balancing act, let me tell you. Just because it's gluten-free, doesn't mean it's sugar-free, but I let myself have a treat ever once in a while.  

✿✿✿

2 comments:

Be nice -- positive feedback and honest questions are always welcome! Thanks.