Saturday, August 28, 2010

Paper Dolls

I've been reading some books on dolls & paper art dolls. I wanna make some of these too! I have a doll rubber stamp and recently found stencils at a thrift store to make small doll faces. I'd like to make historical (esp. Bible story or figures from Christian history) or literature paper art dolls. Here's an ugly little one I made some time ago for an atc doll swap.


As I was reading the book list below, I was trying to remember what paper dolls I had as a child. I must have had a few, because I remembered that the fold-over tabs on the paper clothing never lasted long, nor fit the dolls well, but for the life of me, I don't remember what they were. I do remember a scrapbook I kept for awhile, my first one I believe, of babies and baby dolls I cut from old magazines and catalogs and pasted into an old school notebook on lined paper. I didn't dress them, but enjoyed collecting them. I might just have to find new-to-me paper doll parts and make a new scrapbook as I journey into paper doll making.




1. Artful Paper Dolls: New Ways to Play with a Traditional Form. By Terry Taylor. Lark/Sterling, 2006.


2. Collector's Guide to Raphael Tuck & Sons: Paper Dolls, Paper Toys, & Children's Books. By Blair & Margaret Whitton. Hobby House, 1991.


3. Fanciful Paper Projects: making Your Own Posh Little Follies. By Sandra Evertson. Sterling 2005. Can be found on Amazon or Google Books. 


4. How to Dress an Old-Fashioned Doll. By Mary H. Morgan. Dover, 1973, reprint of 1908 book.

5. Paper Dolls: Their History and How to Make Them. By Edith Flack Ackley. J.P. Lippincott, 1939. 

6. Paper Dolls of the 1960s, 1970s, & 1980s. By Carol Nichols. Collector Books, 2005.

7. Paper Puppet Palooza: Techniques for Making Movable Art Figures & Paper Dolls. By Norma V. Toraya. 2009.

8. Paper Sculpture. By Alan Allport. Drake, 1971. 

9. Storytelling with Dolls. By Elinor Peace Bailey & Noreen Crone-Findlay. Krause, 2003

10. The Doll. By Carl Fox. Harry N. Abrams, NY.

11. Paper Doll Printables! 

12. More Paper Doll Printables!

I was rummaging around in my stash of craft stuff and ran across a Doll Back from the Artgirlz, Inc. Oh, goodie, something else I can play with!

Update-1: I finally created some paper dolls to represent my friends in my happy book (positivity journal) for the month of September 2019. Click here to see the gatefold type flaps I added them to! 

Update-2: I updated my Flickr-1 account and added 3 new Zetti-type art journaled paper dolls to it. One of the paper dolls I found in somebody's else's Flickr account had little metal charms of feet and hands attached to the doll. I thought that was so cute. 

Update-3: Found a new friend, Arty Farty Annie on YouTube, then found her Blog and a blog post about her Trash Dolls. She accommodated my request for a tutorial on Trash dolls.  And here is a video of my version of Trash Dolls! Now Annie and I are doing another collaboration - we're making a journal following Mary Flower's Journal idea and adding our Dollies to them. Annie calls them Franken-dolls! 

1 comment:

Be nice -- positive feedback and honest questions are always welcome! Thanks.