Thursday, March 8, 2018

Joanne Hodges' 5 Minute Quirky Characters

As some of you may know, I've become a YouTube Junkie and found Crafty Hodges because I spied one of her quirky characters in the side menu and had to go look. I collected dolls when I was younger and discovered I like paper dolls because they take up less room, especially if you collect them via an art journal or as framed art. I think I like Joanne's quirky characters because they are as imperfect as I am. smile! 😊

Joanne uploaded a series of tutorials which I watched all the way through and asked questions about her process. It's a personal decision of mine that I don't cut up magazines or books, because today's magazines may someday be a future family researcher's way of documenting their family tree. I began several years ago researching my family tree, especially my  paternal 3rd great-grandparents and I began with nothing but our family's story. And as any professional genealogist will tell you, you have to pair the story with documentation.  Because people saved vintage newspapers and news magazines, I discovered his name in papers coast to coast when most of middle America was only a territory during the mid-1800s. What a lovely surprise!
Well anyway, Joanne has begun to offer FREE Collage Sheets of her Quirky Characters and I decided to take advantage of her offer. So my sweet hubbin copied two collage sheets in greyscale for me and I colored one of them in with Crayola's Twistable 30-Count Colored Pencils today (will do the other one tomorrow), cut the pieces out, prepared a business-sized envelope card, and glued it down. I didn't use all the pieces and spelled out the word LOVE instead across the top with the available letters. It's so cute! 👼 Thank you, Joanne


Here's the flower princess that I made today. You know, the first pair of glasses I had in 2nd grade was a pair of pink and white horn-rims. My second pair looked just like these blue ones. . .

Met a new member of the family this last weekend and was inspired by Joanne's newest quirky character to make a card to send to them.

 
Made this card with two different sheets of Joanne's. By the way, the backgrounds were created with my doodles, not rubber stamps.  




This is Joanne Hodges design also -- Atc Coins. I cut out a bunch of circles with a 2 1/2 inch circle die on my Cuddle-bug of both food packaging (cereal/cracker boxes) and white cardstock and glued it all together and then placed them upside down on a paper napkin that I pulled apart until only the 1-ply design remained. Got all twelve coins on the one paper napkin. Edged it with brown ink and glued on Tim Holtz's small word strips and finished it off with a layer of white glue brushed on. The girls in our ATC club really enjoyed them. Our theme was "Out of Africa." 


(8/6/2020 Update: The newest card trend is "slim-line" cards. I made invitation and business sized cards because they fit the available envelopes that I could purchase easily from any discount and/or thrift store. I didn't want to put as much effort into the envelope as I did the card, when the envelopes usually get tossed anyway. So I guess my cards are trendy! Who knew? 😁) 

10 comments:

  1. This is absolute FANTASTIC!! I am SO proud of you....the coloring looks fabulous Dolores! The word “love” is perfect. Super nice job. Thank you for sharing and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your RAK! I enjoyed making this quirky character and it is going to a good home! :)

      Delete
  2. Dolores, I had dolls, well, I still do, one shelf full, just not the ones from childhood. I also like paper dolls. Mine are still in the books they came in because I have no one to play with--lol. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. She turned out great too! Love her glasses....they are perfect! Thanks for sharing! I love seeing what you do with the collage sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my "Hoppy" turned out great...she's so cute! I love you're turning it into a card - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think "Hoppy" is so cute too! :o)

      Delete
  5. Magnificent goods from you, man. I've be aware your stuff
    prior to and you're simply extremely fantastic.
    I really like what you've obtained right
    here, certainly like what you are stating and the way by which you assert it.
    You're making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it smart.
    I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all these cool quirky characters Dolores. I think I watched those videos a while back but I'm going to watch them again now, she's brillliant isn't she? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! if you go up in the fabulous freebies tab, I believe I have a link to her free printables. be sure to check that out!

      Delete

Be nice -- positive feedback and honest questions are always welcome! Thanks.