Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Three ATC's

David finally got another shed key made for me and today was my creative appointment with myself! Oh boy, you should have seen the mess that greeted me!  My sweetie, bless his heart, took out all the stuff I had collected and wouldn't you know, he put a bunch of it in the one free space I had which was on top of my crafting table, so I spent the better part of the day trying to find homes for some of the stuff. I had one little spot to turn around in and sit down in. LOL!
Merry, you wanted to see the atc's (artist trading cards) I'm sending to Mark Montano's swap. Seriously, you ought to join me. Never know, might get one of mine. *smile* I made these some time ago for an atc swap club that met here in my home town once a month at a scrapbook store, which has since gone out of business. I always made a few extras just in case somebody wanted to swap with me. One of the rubber stamp conventions that came to town had a swap meet sometime during the weekend and everybody would be lugging their tins and notebooks around hoping somebody would eventually swap with them. It was amazing that I could put my hands on my notebook as messy as the shed was.
So the envies are addressed and waiting for postage to be added to them. I also addressed a stamp set that was supposed to go to a friend in Scotland months ago (oops!) and a mail art envie for a sick friend. So the day was productive and I was able to check off some of the things I had on my list.
So here's how I made my atcs:
# 1 is a "fabric" ATC = that was the theme that month. I used a brass template as a mask and sprayed the pink and green inks until the fabric was wet. Then I let it dry, cut them out and stapled it to the cs background. I also stamped it and stitched it and added a safety pin. Added the pertinent stuff to the back and done.

Tip: I made my own spray inks. Got the recipe from Colorbox video I picked up from a thrift store. It's 30 drops of reinker in a 2 oz. mister bottle (Walmart) of water.
# 2 is also spray-painted = on cardstock. I think the theme was "travel." Then I stamped sentiment (aloha) and the flower. Cut out the hibiscus flower, punched the little flower and glued them down. Added a little glitter and gotta remember to do the back. Finished!
# 3. is distressed. I think the theme that month was "buttons and bows" (or ribbon). I scanned a button card with the buttons still attached, printed it out in black and white , then scuffed it a bit with a sanding block. The edges were cut with decorative scissors and glued down to the grey cardstock that had been distressed along the edges. Also glued down a real button, pinned a tiny safety pin on, punched holes to thread the ribbon through and added the tiny tag with a Fiskars teddy bear punched in it.  Signature on back and presto! The End. 

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Studio Shed Storage

Since the craftin' barn was built, I've been busy looking for storage solutions in my half of the building (the other half my hubbin has claimed for a library/office). We've been making trips to thrift shops to purchase shelving units, office equipment and other odds and ends. I even began a board on Pinterest for interesting storage ideas that might work for my barn. On one wall, my hubbin put up a pegboard for me and Harbor Freight had the necessary post hardware to insert into the holes.
I have kept rubber stamps in shoeboxes, in dishwasher tubs, and shirt-sized gift boxes, disposable plastic mother-board clam-shell boxes (a computer part abt the size of a sandwich) my hubbin saved for me from work stacked on an old VHS video shelf in my kitchen. However when my husband was laid off from his computer warehouse job in August 2011, I've taken to storing my stamps in reclaimed plastic VHS clamshell boxes on a bookshelf in my new studio shed. The posts inside the box can be removed with a rotary craft knife.
It's getting there. 

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Stamping Studio

Tuff Shed
I went out to my new studio  yesterday (Aug. 24, 2013) to work on cards since I've been invited to a shoebox party and I could tell my husband had been in there -- what a mess! I had to move stuff to find my work tables and a chair to sit in. Never did get to designing as I had put stuff away before I could. Still have piles of cardstock to put away. Oh, for a studio leprechaun! *smile*

Postscript: Hopefully it is true -- the old saying that good things come to those who wait. Here is it almost 2 years later and I finally have most of the necessary equipment to use my shed studio/playroom. Mom purchased a large enough heater to warm it during cold weather for my birthday last month and my hubbin is getting foam insulation inserted around the foundation so the heater will warm the area closest to the floor more efficiently. Mom had it custom built  and insulated for me in our backyard for St. Valentine's Day 2013.  Immediately we set to work organizing it inside and then during the the first month of  that summer I landed in the hospital for two weeks and then three weeks rehab for a really bad staph infection in my leg. That's where I began my post above. . .

By the way, I've signed up for Stephanie Ackerman's  Documented Faith 2015 Art Journaling focus group.  Stephanie is a designer for Sizzix. (Click here if you want to sign up too.) If you want to see how I am compiling my planner, head over to my Gratitude Blog. Look under the label "Documented Faith. "