Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Kitchen: Week One


As many of you know, I've been collecting Mary Engelbreit objects o' art junkin' at thrift & flea markets for my kitchen. Mostly I have her mugs and teacups, but a few other odds and ends like tins. I've also been gathering bits of material here and there that remind me of her illustrations. I chose one basic -- black and white gingham and gathering other materials to go with it. I've already have begun to assemble and sew accessories for my kitchen like that apron a few weeks ago and this curtain for my back door, but have been putting off tackling the walls. Well, this week, I decided to begin because I've been stuck in the house with what my mother euphemistically calls the "chest crud." I sound like that character on the Little Rascals TV show called "Froggy." LOL!

This may be an all-winter project as this is as far as I've been able to get this week. That wallpaper is STUCK! As I want to paint the walls a creamy yellow, keeping the red below, I don't want to ding up or cut through the wallpaper with that little circular blade thing or I'll have too much to repair before I can do the actual painting. The wallpaper has been up there for quite some time and it is actually paper, no vinyl layer to peel off the top, so the hot water sponge gets to work soaking the paper, while I try to gently scrape off a layer. If you know of a quicker method, give a shout out!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh...good luck! There will never, EVER be wallpaper in this house again! lol... I'd say your hot water is the best bet, or if you have a steamer, that works well. Your curtain looks pretty - can't wait to see the walls in creamy yellow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon. Love the black and white curtain with just hint of red.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice -- positive feedback and honest questions are always welcome! However, if you are positively too busy to type in a comment today, but would like to acknowledge my post, please feel free to check the "Like" button above. Thanks.